Financial Aid Office

FAFSA? Work-Study? DOE? .GOV?Don’t Worry. We’re Here to Help.

Most students and families can’t pay for college out of their pockets. That’s where scholarships, grants, and student loans come into play. But most families have never dealt with the Federal Government, Department of Education, outside scholarships, work-study, and the like. Don’t worry. We’re here to help. Avila University aims to provide education, guidance, and support to all students, and their families, throughout the financial aid process.

Let’s start off with Scholarships, Grants, and Student Loans. You’ll probably use a combination of all three to pay for your degree. Grants are usually from the Federal or State government and do not have to be repaid. Scholarships also do not have to be repaid and they can come from a number of sources including Avila University. There are a host of scholarships and grants available to you whether you’re a Traditional Undergraduate (you’re right out of high school), a Transfer Student coming from another college or university, an Adult Undergraduate (working students and adults who have taken time away from college), Graduate student who is pursuing a Master’s degree, or a Veteran student.

Let’s Find You a Scholarship.

First Things, First. Fill Out Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

All Avila University scholarships and aid are based on your FAFSA application. Nothing happens (i.e.: no scholarship money) until you have a FAFSA on record. So, you might as well click the button below and get started.

2021-2022 FAFSA
File Now.

The 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA) opened on October 1, 2020. To file you will use your 2019 tax information and you should NOT update it with 2020 information.  For more information on the changes or to apply visit the Federal Student Aid website

Will you need a Student Loan?

Even with the many scholarship and grant opportunities available, quite a lot of students will need to take out a loan. Student loans can come from the Federal government (Federal Direct Loans) or from private sources such as a bank or financial institution. If you decide to take out a loan, make sure you understand who is making the loan and the terms and conditions of the loan, as loans must be repaid.

Federal Direct Loans

Federal Direct loans are fixed rate student loans, that are applied for by completing the FAFSA each school year.  

  • The Financial Aid Office awards Subsidized Loans, Unsubsidized Loans, or a combination of both based on financial need.
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are based on financial need, and the government pays the interest while the student is in school, in grace or deferment status.
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are not based on financial need, and the interest is the borrower’s responsibility.
  • For up to date terms on these loans, please visit:

Before receiving Federal Loans, first-time borrowers must complete the following online. 

  1. Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
  2. Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
Federal Direct PLUS Loan

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is available to parents of dependent undergraduate students or graduate students. Parents/graduate students can apply online Here.  Applications can be submitted after May 1stClick here for more information on Direct PLUS loans

Exit Counseling 
Federal Direct Loan exit counseling is required for all students who borrow federal direct loans at their time of departure from Avila University (graduation or withdrawal). Exit counseling provides information including your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You can complete Exit Counseling online by clicking here or in person. If you would like to complete Exit Counseling in-person contact our office, at or by phone at 816-501-3600.

Private Loans

You may need funds in addition to your Federal Direct Loans to pay for your education.  Please also look into outside scholarships and the Business Office’s payment plan to reduce future loan debt.  When deciding on what type of education loan best fits your needs, please use review our Loan Comparison sheet.

Private Lender Applications

Private/Alternative Loans are managed through private lenders such as banks or credit unions and are credit-based.  You can use this private lender comparison to see the lenders we work with most often or to submit an application.

  • These loans can be borrowed in the student’s name, and will usually need a creditworthy co-signer.
  • Parents can apply for a loan in their name, these are called Private Parent Loans.
  • In some situations, a creditworthy extended relative or friend can apply as the borrower. 
  • International students can apply with a creditworthy U.S. citizen or permanent resident co-signer.
  • You are welcome to apply for a private student loan through an institution, not on our list.

Whichever financial route you take, be sure to understand your repayment options and what could happen if you default on your loan.

You can find a list of potential private loan lenders here.

Documents may be faxed, mailed or delivered in-person to:

Student Financial Services Office
11901 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64145
fax: 816.501.2462

We also accept documents by email at

General Financial Aid Forms: Some forms are not available online. If you need a form not listed below, please contact the Student Financial Services Office.

Direct Loan Entrance Counseling

Direct Loan Master Promissory Note

IRS Data Retrieval Tool Instructions

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form

The I-9 Form will need to be completed by students who accept work-study positions. This is completed in the Human Resources Office in Blasco Hall.


2020-2021 Financial Aid Forms

Travel Award Request Form

Avila Promise Travel Award Request Form

on-campus Work-Study

Work-study is a federally sponsored program where qualified students can find part-time work in the offices around campus. Click the button below for a downloadable list of available positions, job descriptions, and details on how to apply.

Questions? Just ask.

Michael Pepple

Director of Financial Aid Phone 816.501.3782

Paula Tarwater

Financial Aid Coordinator Phone 816-501-3781

Laura Modick

Financial Aid Counselor Phone 816-501-3609
Net Price Calculator

Go back to the top