Come Work with Us!
Graduate Assistant Positions
Position Available: G.A. in the Writing Center
Appointment Date: Fall 2023
- One-on-one tutoring with undergraduate students & graduate students, both in-person and online
- Developing writing handouts, videos, or workshops as needed
- Visiting classes or study halls to promote the Writing Center
- Managing Writing Center digital initiatives
- Occasionally supervising undergraduate tutors
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to explain a range of writing concepts (e.g. grammatical rules, thesis writing, essay organization, literature review composition)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to make connections with diverse students
- Tutoring experience
- Strong attention to detail
Salary: 18 credit hour reimbursement for the Fiscal Year
Send letter of interest and CV to Ashley.Squires@avila.edu
The Community: Kansas City, a two-state metropolitan area with a population of nearly two million, offers a wide variety of cultural, educational and social life opportunities
Avila University, a Catholic university founded and inspired by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, provides undergraduate and graduate education in the liberal arts and professional studies, preparing lifelong learners who make meaningful contributions to the global community.
Student Activities Graduate Assistant
Avila University – Student Life Office
Avila University, founded in 1916, is a four-year private university sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, offering liberal arts and professional undergraduate and graduate programs. The Graduate Assistant (GA) for the Student Life Office reports to the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and functions as part of a collaborative Student Life team.
- Assist with the planning, promoting, implementing, and evaluating of major student activity events, leadership development programming, educational and diversity programming initiatives, and special campus celebrations.
- Assist advising the The Activities Team (The A-Team student organization) which primarily programs events on campus. Attend weekly A-Team meetings and assist students with A-Team events.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate two (2) Week of Welcome weeks (Fall & Spring).
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate Homecoming Week.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate Halloween Week.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate Month of Giving.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate two (2) Stress Relief Weeks (Fall & Spring).
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate Right Relationships Week.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate Valentine’s Week.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate holiday events (Lunar New Year, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, etc).
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate commuter student events including Commuter Student Appreciation Week.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate international student events including International Student Appreciation Week and the International Food Fest.
- Plan, promote, implement and evaluate Spring Fling Week.
- Maintain, update and evaluate the bulletin boards used for Avila University event postings.
- Maintain, update and evaluate the Avila webpage FEATURED EVENTS CALENDAR.
- General maintenance of the Marian Center Eagles’ Nest.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Life.
You will also be responsible to be present for and assist with the following events, unless specifically excused:
- Fall athlete residence hall move-in (August 4, 2023);
- Fall first-year residence hall move-in (August 17, 2023);
- New Student Orientation (August 17 – 20, 2023);
- Week of Welcome (August 21 – 27, 2023);
- Avila University Welcome Celebration (August 24, 2023);
- KC Walk for PKD – Polycystic Kidney Disease (September 9, 2023);
- National Suicide Prevention Week (September 10 – 16, 2023);
- Fall International Food Fest (TBD, 2023);
- Homecoming Week (September 25 – October 1, 2023);
- Halloween Week (October 25 – Nov. 2, 2023);
- Month of Giving (November 2023);
- Fall Stress Relief Week (November 27 – December 3, 2023);
- Late Night Finals Breakfast (December TBD, 2023);
- Week of Welcome (January 8 – 14, 2024);
- Spring Student Organization Fair (January TBD, 2024)
- Valentine’s Week (February 12 – 16, 2024);
- Right Relationships/Social Justice Week (February 19 – 23, 2024);
- National Eating Disorders Awareness Week (February 26 – March 2, 2024);
- Spring International Food Fest (March TBD, 2024);
- Spring Fling Week (April 8 – 14, 2024);
- Avila Field Day (April TBD, 2024);
- Student Appreciation Carnival & Picnic (April TBD, 2024);
- Spring Stress Relief Week (April 22 – 28, 2024);
- Late Night Finals Breakfast (May TBD, 2024);
- Other Avila events as assigned by the Associate Dean of Student Affairs.
The Graduate Assistant for the Student Life Office position involves substantial direct involvement with students in various capacities. Additional areas and responsibilities consistent with needs, interests and expertise will be determined. The GA is expected to work approximately fifteen (15) to twenty (20) hours per week for approximately fifteen (15) weeks based on the number of credit hours taken during the tenure of their appointment. This position is appointed for a one-semester term with the opportunity for renewal each semester thereafter.
Qualifications: The successful candidate for this position will possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, and must be admitted to and enrolled in a graduate program at Avila University. The candidate must maintain at minimum a 3.0 GPA. A commitment to student development, higher education, creativity, vision, passion and compassion are imperative.
Prior experience in student activities is preferred.
Compensation: Compensation includes tuition remission for up to seven and a half (7.5) graduate credit hours per semester, not to exceed fifteen (15) graduate credit hours per year, at Avila University.
Position Length and Period:
This position is appointed for a one-semester term with the opportunity for renewal each semester based on performance evaluation. The position begins August 1st and ends May 31st contingent upon renewal.
Avila University is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and its expression.
Avila University is an E-Verify Employer
E-Verify Information (PDF)
Right to Work (PDF)