An Avila University education prepares graduates for responsible life-long contributions to the contemporary world. The curriculum has well-defined outcomes and is designed to involve the student in the learning process. Through coursework and campus activities, the Avila student learns to communicate effectively, to employ higher level thinking skills, to acquire knowledge in the liberal arts and a field of specialization and to develop personally, spiritually, and socially.
Through the Avila University curriculum, which integrates the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ) values, global and interdisciplinary studies, and civic engagement, the Avila University graduate will demonstrate:
- Personal, spiritual, ethical, professional, and social responsibility aligned with the values of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ) including support for diverse cultures, human rights, and right relationships with self, others, and the earth, instilled in this context through familiarity with a diverse array of disciplines and perspectives.
- Effective use and communication of qualitative and quantitative information.
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and innovation by accessing, synthesizing, and applying information from and for various mediums and across technologies, incorporating global perspectives.
Choose from more than 60 majors
As an Avila student, you'll participate in an education that has both breadth and depth. All undergraduate students at Avila complete a Core curriculum and a major curriculum with each course of study designed so that clearly identified objectives are built upon and reinforced.
The Core curriculum is divided into three groups of requirements and is designed to be completed over the period of time needed to meet the requirements for the baccalaureate degree.
- The Foundations requirements provide the basic skills essential for effective participation in other classes as well as the professional world.
- The Pillars and Levels requirements address the breadth of knowledge expected of a liberal arts education and challenge students to integrate prior knowledge and create new ideas through higher levels of coursework.
- The Core Component Designations requirements incorporate assignments and experiences focused on developing and deepening student understandings to prepare students for responsible lifelong contributions to the global community.
The Avila Promise
As a full-time, traditional resident undergraduate student you'll benefit from all four-cornerstones of the Avila Promise. First, our new tuition structure includes all of your books and campus fees. No guessing. No $200 textbook surprises. As part of the Avila Promise, your tuition is protected from unexpected tuition and fee hikes for four years. Not only that, but at Avila, you’ll graduate on-time with our 4-Year Graduation Guarantee; you’ll be guaranteed an internship or research experience, and in your junior year, you’ll be eligible to apply for up to a $1,000 Travel Award.
With a master's degree or graduate certificate from Avila University, you can unlock opportunities and advance your goals. Avila University offers flexible scheduling and evening and online options designed specifically to fit the needs of a busy, working adult. Financial aid, tuition reimbursement and flexible payment options are available to those who qualify.
There are eight master's degree available to you at Avila:
- Master of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Counseling Psychology
- Master of Science in Organizational Development Psychology (MSOD)
- Master of Science in Kinesiology
- Master of Arts in Management
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Social Work (in partnership with Saint Louis University)
There are also a number of concentrations, certificates and certifications available.
Advantage Institute for Professional Studies at Avila
For working adults, Avila University established the Advantage Institute for Professional Studies more than 20 years ago to bring flexibility and convenience to non-traditional students. Today, "non-traditional" students are becoming more of the norm. The Advantage Institute is an innovative program that incorporates flexible scheduling and real-world instruction on a path to earning bachelor’s and graduate degrees and graduate certificates at an accelerated pace. Student-centered with top-tier advising and office support, we strive to serve working students better as you complete coursework on your own terms with 8-week, online, or weekend-intensive options.