Transfer Certification from Missouri to Out-of-State

Transfer My Teaching Certification from Missouri to Another State

Once you have completed one of our (Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education) MoDESE-approved teacher certification programs and have earned your Missouri Initial Teacher Certification, you can then begin the process of transferring that certification to another state. If you know ahead of time that you will be moving from Missouri to another state, we recommend that you check with the Department of Education in that state prior to enrollment in any of our programs to make sure that this certification will transfer from Missouri to your state. While some states will accept a valid Teacher Certification from Missouri with no additional coursework or tests, other states may require additional coursework, tests or both.

The transfer process varies from state to state, so please contact the Department of Education in the state to which you are transferring for more details on the transfer of your certification. Most states will require that you complete an “Out of State” packet that will include a copy of your teaching certificate, official transcripts, a completed application, verification of tests taken (ACT, MoGEA, MoCA, etc.) and an “Institutional Verification Form”. Missouri State can only complete the Institutional Verification form for the program(s) completed at Missouri State and the certification(s) resulting from completion of that program. Verification cannot be provided for certifications added by test or for completion of programs at other institutions. If your state requires that the institution where you completed your program complete an Institutional Verification Form, please complete your portion and email that form to the Teacher Certification office at  

Please include detailed instructions including:

  • Your name, address and phone number (if not on the form)
  • Instructions describing where you want the form sent. Some states require that the form be sent directly to the State Department of Education. Other states require that all materials be sent to the applicant and sent to the State in one complete packet.

If you have further questions regarding transfer of certification to another state, please contact the appropriate State Education Department listed below:

State Contact Information

StateOffice Name
AlabamaState Department of Education
AlaskaAlaska Department of Education & Early Development – Teacher Certification
ArizonaDepartment of Education – Educator Certification
ArkansasArkansas State Dept. of Ed. – Office of Educator Licensure
CaliforniaCalifornia Commission on Teaching Credentialing
ColoradoColorado Department of Education – Educator Licensing Unit
ConnecticutConnecticut State Dept. of Ed. – Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification
DelawareDepartment of Education – Licensure/Certification Office
District of ColumbiaEducator Licensure Services
FloridaFlorida Department of Education – Bureau of Educator Certification
GeorgiaGeorgia Professional Standards Commission – Certification Section
HawaiiHawaii Teacher Standards Board
IdahoState Dept. of Ed – Certification/Professional Standards Commission
IllinoisState Board of Education – Division of Educator Certification
IndianaIndiana Department of Education – Office of Educator Licensing and Development
IowaIowa State Board of Education Examiners
KansasKansas State Department of Education – Teacher Education and Licensure
KentuckyEducation Professional Standards Board – Division of Certification
LouisianaLA Dept. of Ed. – Division of Certification, Preparation, & Recruitment
MaineDepartment of Education – Administrator and Teacher Certification
MarylandMaryland State Department of Education – Certification Branch
MassachusettsDept. of Ed. – Office of Educator Preparation
MichiganMichigan Dept. of Ed.
MinnesotaDepartment of Education – Educator Licensing Office
MississippiMississippi Dept. of Ed.
MissouriDepartment of Elementary & Secondary Education – Teacher Education and Certification
MontanaOffice of Public Instruction – Educator Licensure
NebraskaDepartment of Education – Teacher Education and Certification
NevadaNevada Department of Education – Office of Teacher Licensure
New HampshireNew Hampshire Dept. of Ed. – Bureau of Credentialing
New JerseyDepartment of Education – Office of Teacher Licensure and Credentials
New MexicoNew Mexico Public Education Department
New YorkNew York State Education Department – Certification Unit
North CarolinaNC Department of Public Instruction – Licensure Section
North DakotaNorth Dakota Department of Public Instruction – Education Standards and Practices Board
OhioOhio Dept. of Ed. – Office of Educator Licensure
OklahomaOklahoma State Dept. of Ed. – Teacher Certification
OregonTeacher Standards & Practices Commission
PennsylvaniaPennsylvania Department of Education – Division of Certification Services
Rhode IslandRhode Island Dept. of Ed. – Office of Educator Quality and Certification
South CarolinaSouth Carolina State Dept. of Ed. – Educator Licensure
South DakotaDepartment of Education and Cultural Affairs – Office of Accreditation and Certification
TennesseeTennessee Department of Education – Office of Teacher Licensing
TexasTexas Education Agency – State Board of Education Certification
UtahUtah State Office of Education – Out of State Licensure
VermontState Department of Education – Educator Licensing Office
VirginiaDepartment of Education – Division of Teacher Education and Licensure
WashingtonOffice of Superintendent of Public Administration – Professional Certification
West VirginiaDepartment of Education – Office of Professional Preparation
WisconsinWisconsin Department of Public Instruction
WyomingProfessional Teaching Standards Board
Go back to the top