The Bachelor of Science in Social Work major at Avila
Avila’s social work program will prepare you for one of the fastest-growing and most important careers with a challenging, value-based curriculum and numerous professional development opportunities. Dedicated to forming social change agents in the global community, our social work majors graduate with a deep commitment to contributing to the well-being of others.
You’ll receive one-on-one instruction and mentorship from highly accomplished social work faculty, thanks to Avila’s small class sizes. Senior social work majors conduct more than 500 hours of practice at a regional organization, mentored by a professional social worker, meaning you’ll have the practical and theoretical knowledge to excel in your career as a social worker.
Are you interested in Social Work?
Your Social Work bachelor’s degree prepares you for your career
Incoming first-year students are guaranteed access to an internship or research experience before graduation. Accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), Avila Social Work students have completed hands-on learning experiences at:
- Department of Children/Families – Kansas
- Synergy Services
- Benilde Hall
- SAVE, Inc.
Avila Social Work graduates are pursuing careers as:
- Family Counselors
- Elderly Caregivers
- Social Workers
- Correction Officers
Avila Social Work graduates choose to work at:
- The Whole Person
- Kansas City, Kansas School District
- KC Care
Transferring to Avila?
We work with you to make the most of your transfer credits so you’re on track to graduate with a bachelor’s degree.
An Environment to Enhance your Education
Hooley-Bunschu Learning Commons
This is not your mother’s library. State-of-the-art study rooms, public workstations, tutoring services, and access to 50,000 on-campus volumes, plus millions of database articles await you.
Guaranteed Internship Opportunities
All first-year undergraduate students are guaranteed an internship or research experience opportunity.
Close to Everything Kansas City
At Avila, you’re only 15 minutes away from world-class museums, historical landmarks, professional sports venues, and centers of culture, commerce, and industry.
Find Your Mentor
Avila’s faculty will challenge you, inspire you, and become more than just another teacher.
“The mentors I met in the social work program, and across campus, challenged me to go outside my comfort zone.”Paige Racker / ’20
Department of social work news
- Avila Commencement Celebrates 391 New GraduatesAvila University Welcomes its 105th Graduating Class During commencement exercises on May 14 at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, the Colleges of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences, Science & Health, and Professional Schools held individual graduation ceremonies for undergraduate and graduate degree earners throughout the day to fulfill social distancing requirements. “It is wonderful for…
- Annual Social Work Senior Colloquium Showcases Social LeadersThe Avila Social Work Department hosted its annual Senior Colloquium on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, with 10 Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) students presenting their research to an audience and expert Capstone Project rater Matthew Loehr, Ph.D. As part of their program, students learn that successful social workers demonstrate nine core competencies. BSW students identify…
- New Nursing/Social Work Collaboration Invites Students Into Real-Life Simulations“Social Workers and nurses work closely in any medical setting and we felt it would be useful for them to better understand each other’s roles when it came to caring for patients. We also saw this as an opportunity to apply knowledge and increase team-building skills,” said Avila Assistant Professor and Director of Field Education,…
- Nearly 400 Graduate During In-Person Commencement ExercisesAvila University Welcomes its Latest Graduates During commencement exercises on May 15 at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, the Colleges of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences, Science & Health and Professional Schools held individual graduation ceremonies for undergraduate and graduate degree earners throughout the day to fulfill social distancing requirements. “It is wonderful for us…
- More than 400 Undergraduates Named to Dean’s ListMore than 400 undergraduate students at Avila University earned dean’s list distinction for the spring 2020 semester. The dean’s list comprises undergraduate students who meet requirements in the Colleges of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Professional Schools and Science and Health. All full-time admitted undergraduate students are eligible for the dean’s list. To be included…