Avila Now

March 1, 2022

Q&A: Heather Chaszar MA.Ed ’17

Heather Chaszar
Heather Chaszar.

Heather Chaszar was changing careers to education and looking for a program that offered course flexibility while meeting her needs as a working adult. She found Avila’s Master of Arts in Education in Curriculum & Instruction. 

After completing the required professional education coursework, transitioning into the master’s program was seamless. Receiving an MAEd in Curriculum and Instruction provided me with additional skills that have assisted with the advancements in my career.

After graduating in 2017, Chaszar, MAEd was hired as a K-4 Literacy Coach in the Oak Harbor School District in Oak Harbor, Washington.

What do you do in your current role?

As a Literacy Coach, I work with teachers to ensure we are using effective instructional strategies in teaching reading, writing, and comprehension.

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

Avila exposed me to many different classroom experiences. Observing classroom teachers early in the program was an invaluable experience. I had the privilege of learning from mentors who were extremely knowledgeable in their content area and from building and district leaders. I formed lasting relationships with these people. 

Avila provided coursework that enhanced my understanding of how children learn and behave. I left Avila with a toolbox full of effective teaching strategies that allowed me to differentiate and improve student engagement.

What professional goals do you have in the future? How has your Avila education prepared you to pursue those?

My MAEd from Avila–a pleasant surprise in my career path–led me to the challenging role of a K-4 Literacy Coach. In this new role, my love and passion for teaching allow me to have a larger impact on the students in our building by coaching teachers on implementing effective teaching strategies in their classrooms.

Who at Avila did you form good relationships with during your studies? How did they assist you?

Dr. (Stacy) Keith, Dr. (Sue Ellen) McCalley, and Dr. Donnell are wonderful educators who had a big impact on my life at Avila. They were approachable and made me feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice, whether content specific or how to handle a classroom situation.

Go back to the top