Avila Now

May 20, 2022

Q&A: Megan Deaver, MSCP ’17

Megan Deaver, MSCP '17
Megan Deaver.

Megan Deaver attended Avila University as an undergrad and loved the small environment and “culture of caring.” She decided to earn her Master of Science in Counseling Psychology.

Deaver graduated with her MSCP in 2017. She is now a Private Practice Licensed Professional Counselor and Avila University Adjunct Instructor.

Why was Avila and their counseling psychology program the right fit for you?

I loved the one-on-one communication and relationships with professors that helped me deepen my understanding and practice of coursework. The classes being small and focused made me more comfortable asking questions, presenting scenarios that concerned me, or engaging in discussions because I knew that my thoughts and opinions were valued and held to a professional standard.

What would you tell a friend who is considering a similar career path about Avila’s program?

Avila’s program was great for the small college culture. People know each other and are looking to become professionals. The faculty and staff are dedicated to the success of students and will work to help them grow and be prepared for the professional environment.

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

The coursework taught the foundation. Conversations with professors and an internship in a safe, supervised environment helped build the skills and confidence needed for counseling.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how has your Avila education prepared you to pursue these goals?

I hope to obtain a Ph.D., continue to teach, and work with vulnerable populations. Avila helped me gain experience working with different knowledge bases and form important relationships to help make connections and ask appropriate questions to continue my education.

Who at Avila (faculty, staff, or other students) did you form an inspired relationship with, and how did they assist you?

All of the faculty was important to me for teaching me skills in the class setting and helping me apply skills and work through concerns. I developed a good relationship with every full-time faculty that was at Avila. I developed close relationships with several students that were in classes. I maintain those personally and professionally and continue to case consult with them.

Go back to the top