Avila Now

April 6, 2022

Q&A: Danielle Sloop, MA.Ed ’22

Danielle Sloop, MAEd '22
Danielle Sloop_MAED.

Danielle Sloop, Master of Arts in Education ‘22, was looking for a career change when she found Avila’s MAEd geared toward working professionals. “By offering evening and online courses, I could easily take classes that fit my schedule. The program also offered teaching certification within two years, which appealed to me, as I was eager to start a new career in teaching,” said Sloop. Sloop is now a K-5 Art Teacher, teaching students fundamental art-making at West Englewood Elementary, in North Kansas City.

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

Avila prepared me for my career by offering experiences that encouraged students to enter classrooms right away. Practicum, special methods, and student teaching are just a few of the experiences that helped prepare me for my career in teaching. In addition, the education classes I took at Avila helped me learn the ins and outs of the classroom, from the laws around public schooling to the psychology of development, classroom management, and more.

What professional goals do you have in the future? How has your Avila education prepared you to pursue those?

In the future, I would like to mentor other preservice or first-year teachers. Avila’s MAEd program has inspired me to become a teacher leader by equipping me with the tools, knowledge, and resources to pursue my professional goals.

Who at Avila did you form good relationships with during your studies? How did they assist you?

I cannot say enough good things about Cory Roup, Alicia Murillo, and Dr. Natalie Cobb. Because I was changing careers, I had a lot of questions for Cory about how I could become a teacher and how Avila could help me reach that goal. He answered all my questions, enrolled me in my first education classes, and continued to be a wealth of knowledge for all things Avila. 

Alicia Murillo prepared me for the biggest test I would take in my career, the Missouri Content Assessment, and her tips and suggestions helped me pass with flying colors. Her support of her students is infectious and as the certification officer, she was incredibly knowledgeable about everything I needed to do to obtain initial certification. 

.

Go back to the top