School of Education: FAQs

You Have Questions.

We Have the Answers.

What Can I Teach?

Avila University prepares students to be teachers in the following areas:

  • Education Majors
  • Elementary (Grades 1-6)
  • Middle School (Grades 5-9)
    • Language Arts
    • Mathematics
    • Science
    • Social Studies
  • Special Education: Cross-Categorical (K-12)
  • Art Education (Grades K-12)
  • Business Education (Grades 9-12)
  • Music Education (K-12 Vocal or Instrumental)
  • Physical Education (Grades K-12)
  • Secondary Education Minor (Grades 9-12)
    • Biology
    • English
    • Social Studies
    • Speech/Theater
    • Music Education (K-12 Vocal or Instrumental)
  • Students will major in the content area and minor in secondary education.

Is there a minimum grade point average one must maintain to be an education major/minor?

Students must maintain the following grade point averages to advance to teacher candidacy status, to be allowed to enroll in Final Clinical Experience, and to receive state certification:

  • Overall GPA 2.75
  • Education course work GPA 3.0
  • Content area GPA 3.0

How soon will I be out in area schools doing field-based placements?

Avila’s School of Education programs include extensive field-based experiences and clinical components. In one of the first education courses, ED 185 Practicum, students are placed with a TEXT (Teaching Excellence Team) mentor in area schools.

Are there additional costs/equipment needs associated with earning a School of Education degree?

There are a series of state required exams and assessments that all teacher education majors/minors are required to take throughout the program. Teacher candidates are responsible for these expenses.

Also, some of the courses have fees attached to them. The fees are used to pay stipends for TEXT mentors, cooperating teachers, mileage for site supervision, etc. Teacher candidates will need a laptop once they begin their education (ED) courses.

Will I need a car if I live on campus?

Education majors/minors must provide their own transportation to area schools for field-based and clinical experiences. It is therefore highly recommended that you have a car.

Can I become certified in Kansas as well as Missouri?

Teacher candidates must be certified in Missouri prior to becoming certified in any other state. Once Missouri certification is received, teacher candidates may apply for certification in Kansas or any other state. Each state has different certification requirements and additional exams may be required for each additional state in which certification is being sought. Avila University’s School of Education encourages teacher candidates to apply for Kansas teaching certification to increase one’s marketability.

Does the School of Education find me a job when I have finished my program?

The School of Education does not find jobs for teacher candidates. However, a Teacher Career Fair is held in the spring semester and students from both the fall and spring Final Clinical Experience (student teaching) are invited to attend. Many area districts attend the event, and teacher candidates have the opportunity to talk with representatives and disseminate resumes. Many School of Education faculty members will assist you by providing reference letters for potential employers.

Go back to the top