Avila Now

May 5, 2022

Q&A: Holly France, MSP student

Holly France
Holly-France.

Holly France chose Avila’s Master of Science in Psychology to gain research experience before applying for a Ph.D. program. Avila’s program has also allowed her to explore career options in the field of psychology. France specifically chose Avila because,

“I had strong interests in the research being conducted by the faculty, the smaller class sizes, and the freedom to choose the pace of my classes.”

Holly France

What surprised you about Avila or the psychology program?

I was surprised at how quickly professors allow the students to become leaders within the research labs and the individual attention professors give to students.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how is Avila preparing you to pursue these goals?

In the future, I am hoping to become a professor in Cognitive Psychology. Avila is preparing me to pursue these goals through thorough research and design classes, research participation, and supportive faculty.

Who at Avila did you form an inspired relationship with, and how did they assist you?

I was inspired the most by Dr. Wagge. Dr. Wagge was the first professor I met at Avila and ever since that encounter she has encouraged me to reach for my goals. In Research and Design Analysis I, she encouraged me to look into a topic that was meaningful to me, and this set the path that I am likely going to continue with my master’s thesis. Dr. Wagge will always put her students first – whether they need someone to talk through their research ideas with or receive homework help. I am also Dr. Wagge’s research GA. She always keeps her lab students involved in her projects and fully explains proper procedures to them so that one day they will be able to conduct research of their own.

Go back to the top