Avila Now

April 22, 2022

Q&A: Justin Loman, MSK ’21

Justin Loman
Justin Loman.

Justin Loman came to Avila to earn his Master of Science in Kinesiology and play baseball. “The MSK program was a great fit for me as an athlete and student. The professors were more than willing to work with me if conflicts came up–personal or athletic,” said Loman.

Loman graduated from Avila with his MSK in 2021 and is now a Player Services Supervisor at Hallbrook Country Club. He manages daily golf course operations, player services, and staff.

Why was Avila and the Master’s of Science in Kinesiology program the right fit for you?

In many of the classes, you are given ample time to start projects early and work throughout the semester. This allowed time for questions and fine-tuning of research, creating a result that I was often proud of. Many of my projects, conversations with Dr. Larson, and the use of the trackman system in the kinesiology lab pertained to golf. It was a great start to helping me find a career that I am truly excited about. When I completed the MSK Program, I didn’t feel like I was thrown into the world. The entire department helped me understand my goals and how to hit the ground running.

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

I had to constantly problem-solve to break down situations. I have already seen my style of thinking change to be more analytical. I am thankful for that.

Avila taught me how to think on my feet and deal with constant change in the classroom and on the baseball field. Covid threw a wrench in everyone’s plans. Staying focused on a three-hour virtual lecture is no easy task. Dr. Larson and Dr. Norwood did a great job at adapting, and I feel I became a better listener because of it.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how is your Avila education preparing you to pursue these goals?

Avila has prepared me to fill a variety of roles in many different fields. I feel that the program has allowed me to be able to step into several professions and be successful.

I plan to pursue a golf career in teaching and course management to eventually become a head pro of a club. I currently work in player services and am obtaining a custom club fitting and product certification through Callaway Golf.

The MSK Program helped me build better study and research habits while progressing through projects. I was able to pick my research topics, which allowed me to find topics I was interested in. Ultimately, that allowed me to have a leg up as I sift through and study new information.

Who at Avila did you form an inspired relationship with, and how did they assist you?

Honestly, the entire department is full of incredibly knowledgeable and approachable staff. I had many chats with Coach C (Avila Strength and Conditioning Coach Brian Ciolek)  in the weight room about class, lifting, and Marvel movies. It was easy to get lost in conversation. I quickly gained a lot of respect for him as a coach and teacher. He helped keep me on track through good and bad times, and I am forever thankful to him for that.

The same can be said for both Dr. Larson and Dr. Norwood. Though both men may carry very busy schedules, they too could find time for a chat about clarifying upcoming projects or how the baseball team was doing.

Go back to the top