Avila Now

March 9, 2022

Q&A: Sarah Josephson, MSCP student

Sarah Josephson
Sarah Josephson.

Sarah Josephson loves talking to people about their emotions and being a listening ear. “I want to help others become the best versions of themselves and find true happiness so they can live a fulfilled life,” said Josephson. 

She is currently pursuing her Master of Science in Counseling Psychology at Avila University.

“I thrive in smaller class sizes, and all the faculty in this department are affable, knowledgable, and a joy to be around.”

What surprised you about Avila or the MSCP program?

The thing that surprised me most about Avila’s MSCP program is the knowledge every professor has in and about the field of psychology. They are very diverse in the sense that almost all areas in the psychology field are covered, whether a professor has worked it or knows someone who has, or can find someone who does. Any question I had throughout my time here has been answered to the fullest.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how is your Avila education preparing you to pursue these goals?

Coming into this program I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do with this degree or where I wanted to work. Avila has done an amazing job at providing a vast amount of knowledge and information about many different types of therapy. I have narrowed in on working in private practice, and Avila has a list of agencies that I was able to pick from when searching for an internship site.

Who at Avila did you form an inspired relationship with, and how did they assist you?

Dr. Heather Noble and Philip Gebauer. I have been a graduate assistant for both of them and they are amazing people. I can go to them with anything and they are always there to help. 

The small class size allows for more discussion-based learning, which I believe is very beneficial in a program like counseling psychology. It also allows for a sense of comfortability and closeness with classmates being a cohort and the possibility of sharing multiple classes. I also believe it allows professors to give more individualized attention to each student and their needs. 

Go back to the top