Avila Now

February 16, 2022

Q&A: Terry Hartley, MSP ’18

Terry Hartley, MSP '18
Terry Hartley.

Terry Hartley graduated from Avila in 2018 with her Master of Science in Psychology. After raising a family, she was ready for that next life step. She found that Avila’s MSP was a great fit. 

“The class sizes were small, the instructors were very personable and approachable and the curriculum was stimulating. I feel like the classes prepared me with current, relevant, applicational information,” said Hartley, MSP, ‘18.

Hartley now works for the GOIABA Group as a Child Development Specialist. 

What would you tell a friend who is considering a similar path about Avila’s program?

I loved my time at Avila. I was very impressed with the teaching staff. They made the classes so interesting. I found the workload difficult, but manageable.

Avila’s location and size were a big draw. I also loved that I didn’t have to take the GRE because it had been a while since I pursued a degree in higher education.

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

I entered the MSP program seeking a change in my life, with no clear vision of what I wanted to do upon graduation. During my coursework, I learned about the organization Parents As Teachers. It was then I knew the direction I wanted to go. My Community Project class enabled me to work with three local Parents As Teachers organizations. My degree and the experience gained through my community project helped me obtain a job upon graduation with a local Parents As Teachers organization.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how has your Avila education prepared you to pursue these goals?

I recently moved to California. In order to comply with CA licensure requirements, I had to take a few early childhood education courses. With the education I received at Avila, these current classes have been a breeze.

Go back to the top