Avila Now

July 27, 2022

Taking the Gold

Malcolm Gold
Malcolm Gold.

After nine years of teaching at Avila, Malcolm Gold, Ph.D., was awarded Professor of the Year. Gold teaches three courses in the BSBA Business Core (Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, and Statistical Analysis) and one MBA Core (Applied Microeconomics) class.  

What does winning Professor of the Year mean to you?

It is an honor to receive this award. I appreciate the opportunity to teach classes and am thankful for the insight from fellow instructors and students each semester on making the class more successful. 

What is it about Avila that keeps you here?

Avila University’s mission is apparent throughout, and I see it daily through the activities and actions as well as from students, colleagues, and the greater Avila family. The worth, dignity, and potential of each human being is a wonderful textual representation of my personal ethos. I enjoy the people and what I do; I am blessed to have a rewarding position.

What has been your most outstanding achievement thus far?

I am probably the proudest of my wife and two daughters. I regularly get to see them be kind and conscientious of others and am thankful for the extended support they have from friends and family. I am embarrassed by individual successes and instead strive to have a team and collective achievements, as I enjoy being part of something bigger than myself.

What do you hope to teach your students beyond the curriculum?

Near the end of EC 203, I tell students that my yearlong sequence goal is an increased awareness of our interconnectedness and interdependence with others.

Go back to the top