Avila Now

May 12, 2022

Q&A: Iri Torres, MSP ’22

Iri Torres, MSP '22
iri torres.

Iri Torres came to Avila as an international student to earn her Master of Science in Psychology and pursue a career in research psychology in the United States. Torres is currently a Psychometrist at the KU Alzheimer’s Research Disease Center.

“My role is to help with the data collection, specifically administering cognitive tests to participants involved in different studies.”

Iri Torres, MSP ’22

Why was Avila and their program the right fit for you?

Avila has a flexible learning plan that gives me the experience I was looking for and the University and staff were very helpful during my enrollment process. As a student with a degree from an international university, my enrollment situation was unique and they were extremely kind, helpful, and understanding.

What surprised you about Avila or the psychology program?

I was surprised by how easily they accepted diversity and diverse backgrounds. My first language is Spanish and my previous experience was completely different from what many would consider standard in the US. The professors and students were very open to learning my ways and helping teach me how things are done here.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how is Avila preparing you to pursue these goals?

I was able to find a job working in the field I am interested in part because of my classes at Avila. I plan to pursue a doctorate. I’m interested in a cognitive neuroscience Ph.D., and that’s one of the reasons why I joined Dr. P’s (Marcia Pasqualini) lab. Avila is providing me with research experience through a joint university project for my master’s thesis.

Who at Avila did you form an inspired relationship with, and how did they assist you?

I formed a relationship with Dana Edwards, Marcia Pasqualini, and Jordan Wagge. Dana Edwards is a graduate staff member who first introduced me to the program and provided me with materials to get me started. Dr. Pasqualini and Dr. Wagge have been my professors since I started the program and have been very interested and involved with my journey and development and have been willing to spend extra time outside of class to help me with my learning goals.

Go back to the top