Avila Now

April 19, 2022

Q&A: Vickery Ottaway, current student

Vickery Ottaway
Vickery Ottaway.

Vickery  Ottaway knew she wanted to earn her initial teaching certification and then proceed into a master’s program. Avila offers the opportunity for aspiring teachers to earn their certification, start working as a classroom teacher, and then earn their master’s with only an additional 18 credit hours.

Why was Avila and their program the right fit for you?

I researched several universities and programs in the area. This was at the beginning of the pandemic, and it seemed like I was chasing down the right people to talk to to find out the information I needed about various programs and Universities. I left a voicemail with Avila, and Cory Roup called me back right away. Cory thoroughly explained the program and answered all of my questions. He was very positive and encouraged me to apply to the program. After that conversation, I knew Avila was the right fit for me.

What surprised you about Avila or the education program?

There are so many aspects of Avila and the education program that have amazed me. I appreciate how my advisor, Cory Roup handles all of the enrollment details. Not having to stand in long lines to enroll and be stressed that the classes I need would fill up is priceless. The professors in the education department have been wonderful. Their willingness to share stories from their real-life teaching experiences and all of their education knowledge deepened my understanding of teaching.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how is your Avila education preparing you to pursue these goals?

I am currently wrapping up my student teaching. My professional goal is to find a teaching position soon. I will continue at Avila and complete my master’s.

Who at Avila did you form good relationships with during your studies? How did they assist you?

I admire and appreciate Mrs. Carol McLean. I value the classes that I have taken from her. Covid forced our graduate classes to be online. It has been fun to connect with my fellow graduate students during classes.

.

Go back to the top