Avila Now

March 30, 2022

Q&A: Matt Arnet, MSCP ’06

Matt Arnet, MSCP '06
Matt Arnet.

Matt Arnet is the Clinical Director of Outpatient Services at KVC Behavioral Healthcare. He chose Avila University to earn his Master of Science in Counseling Psychology.

I was looking for a smaller program where I could get to know the professors and other students. My undergraduate degree came from a very large state school where it was easy to get lost among hundreds of other psychology students. I still have relationships with Avila faculty and alumni, so I think I made the right choice.”

What would you tell a friend who is considering a similar path about Avila’s program?

Avila prepares its MSCP students to be job-ready as soon as they graduate. The connections around the metro that adjunct professors and faculty have ensures students have a personalized experience that leads them in the direction they want. The student experience feels personalized and tailored to your career goals.

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

I graduated with a very diverse experience within the psychology field.  I felt very comfortable being able to work with high acuity clients.

What professional goals do you have for the future, and how is your Avila education preparing you to pursue these goals?

I hope to continue my work at Avila as an adjunct professor as well as manage my clinic. I eventually want to get into some private practice work, which Avila also well prepared me for.

Who at Avila did you form an inspired relationship with, and how did they assist you?

My mentor at Avila, Delany Dean, was critical in my development as a clinician. While she no longer teaches at Avila, she was instrumental in giving me the confidence to be a therapist as well as a teacher. Her mentorship led to my first teaching experience at Avila. I also had many other professors, Amy Bucher and Stephen Sirridge, who helped shape my approach to counseling, and I reference my experiences often.

Go back to the top