Avila Now

October 3, 2019

Avila Participates in Catholic Relief Services College Ambassador Training

Seven Avila University students attended the annual Catholic Relief Services (CRS) College Ambassador Regional Training this September in Omaha, Nebraska, joining students from Creighton University, Benedictine University and the University of St. Mary’s.

The annual regional training is provided to the 107 partner colleges which belong to CRS to implement co-curricular programming for the upcoming academic year. The four campaigns for 2019/20 are: I Am Climate Change, I Am Migration, I Am Human Trafficking, and I Am Global Hunger. The College Ambassadors spent the weekend in Omaha receiving in-depth training and knowledge about each of the campaign areas.

“I love attending the CRS trainings because it reminds me that we are all part of something bigger,” said senior Zulina Ramirez, who attended the training. “It helps remind us that there are other students who share the same cause and that we are all working together to make a difference. It may sound cliché, but when I leave CRS, I feel empowered to change the world and make a difference.”

This is the fourth year Avila has attended the regional training, in addition to two biennial gatherings, since the University has become an ambassador campus. In coordination with the Office of Ministry, Spirituality and Action, the student ambassadors host monthly Dinner and Dialogue sessions to build awareness with speakers, activities, documentaries and food.

“The mission of Catholic Relief Services has always been close to the heart of what we do here at Avila,” said Julie Cowley, assistant director of university ministry. “We’re especially excited about this year’s campaigns because each one is tightly connected to the values and mission of Avila and our founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.”

For more information about the Avila Catholic Relief Services Ambassador team, contact Julie.Cowley@avila.edu. To learn more about CRS, visit their website here.

Go back to the top