Avila Now

February 8, 2022

Q&A: Ashley Rowland MA.Ed, ’21

Ashley Rowland Headshot
Ashley Rowland.

After a nine-year career in the field of criminology, Ashley Rowland felt a push toward a new direction. “I needed a program that would allow me to continue to meet my obligations to my family while still being able to pursue my new dream,” said Avila alumna Ashley Rowland, Master of Arts in Education ‘21. She found Avila’s MAEd program, which was the right fit to propel her into a new future. She is currently a 9th grade English teacher at Ray-Pec High School. 

How did Avila prepare you for your career?

Avila’s program was centered around real-world experiences as teachers and their program requirements are actually the reason I was hired to teach at Ray-Pec.

What professional goals do you have in the future? How has your Avila education prepared you to pursue those?

I was recently accepted into a Doctoral of Education program at Arkansas State University and plan to pursue levels of higher education in the coming years. I’d love to teach as an adjunct faculty member at Avila! 

Who at Avila (faculty or staff) did you form good relationships with during your studies? How did they assist you? 

I loved everyone I came in contact with at Avila.

Dr. McCalley and Mrs. McLean are two of my pillars when it comes to self-setting goals. Both taught me so much about education, being a teacher, and forming relationships with my students. I am forever grateful to them. One of the biggest takeaways from learning from both women is that it made me look at who I am as a person and dig deep to find the best versions of myself to give to my students, as they did for theirs.  

I am always thankful to Cory Roup who answered my panicked emails at all hours of the day and night while helping me navigate my transition into a new master’s program and career! 

Go back to the top