Avila Now

April 23, 2021

Hanks, Leimkuhler Photos Selected for Undergrad Exhibition

Composite of two images
2021 KCAC Undergrad Exhibition submissions. Left: "Beyond the Bull" by Chanelle Hanks; Right: "Cold Play" by Hannah Leimkuhler. Images courtesy of respective photographers.

Two Avila University students were among the finalists for the 26th annual Kansas City Artist Coalition Undergraduate Exhibition this April.

Works from Chanelle Hanks (Software Engineering) and Hannah Leimkuhler (Education) are on display at the KCAC exhibition space in downtown Kansas City, Missouri for the month of April, where they are displayed with the top photography from students around the region. The exhibition was juried by Jade Powers, assistant curator at the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art.

As amateur photographers, both Hanks and Leimkuhler said they were surprised they were selected, but energized and motivated by their selection.

“I was honestly shocked when I found out my photo had been selected,” Hanks said. “I have never submitted anything for an exhibition—I only had 24 pictures on my phone when I started my photography course—but doing this has really taught me to not limit myself. You truly do not know what you’re capable of achieving unless you try.”

While Leimkuhler submitted photography for exhibition during high school, she had some assistance selected her pick for the KCAC show.

“I enjoyed the composition and lines in the image I selected, but my friends, family and photography professor (Teresa Johnson, instructor and director of the Thornhill Gallery) also helped me pick which photos were best,” Leimkuhler said. “I feel extremely grateful that one of my photos got chosen out of all the other entries.”

Each student is eligible for one of three cash prizes. To learn more about the exhibition and for viewing hours, please visit the KCAC Website for more information.

Go back to the top