Dear Avila Community,
As the challenges presented by COVID-19 continue to change rapidly, Avila University’s top priority remains your health and safety. While there are no known cases of COVID-19 reported on campus, as a precautionary measure to help mitigate the risk of exposure we are implementing the following procedures. Please read the information carefully so that you are well informed:
- Spring Break will be extended through March 22, 2020 for all traditional undergraduate students. Beginning March 23, 2020 all courses will be conducted remotely. The only exceptions will be labs and clinicals which will continue face-to-face at the discretion of the instructors and clinical sites. Instructors will use email and Canvas to communicate with students with further individual class details.
- Adult and graduate students will continue their face-to-face classes the week of March 15, 2020 as normal. All adult and graduate classes will be conducted remotely beginning March 23, 2020.
- The Avila Learning Commons will remain open, to help students with technology and internet connection issues. Specific hours of operation will be posted soon. Please contact HealthyEagles@avila.edu with individual concerns and we’ll help you navigate a solution.
- Faculty will inform students on how they will be conducting office hours.
- Students are encouraged to stay home and continue classes online until face-to-face classes resume. However, we recognize that’s not universally reasonable. For some the safest, most secure place will be in the Avila residence halls, which will remain open.
- Residence halls will be open for those students who do not have the option of staying at home. This includes students serving in clinicals, those who are student teaching, and others who need to be on campus for academic or safety reasons. The halls will open Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 8 a.m.
- Students who plan to stay on campus will need to register with Residence Life. Residence will be sent an online form via their Avila email today.
- The Dining Hall will open Sunday, March 15, 2020 with dinner. Options will be reduced and a schedule will be announced later.
- The Avila Food Pantry in Dallavis will be open and available to all students, faculty, and staff.
- Avila University will remain open for normal business. Faculty and staff will report to work as usual.
- In accordance with Avila’s Pandemic Policy, any member of the campus community who have travelled to a country with a CDC level 2 or higher designation, taken a cruise, or attended gatherings larger than 250 people may be asked to self-quarantine for 14-days.
- This is a dynamic situation. Decisions are being made in regards to athletic and other events, including graduation. You will be updated as soon as decisions are made.
We do not know how long these procedures will be in place. Please continue to check your email and our Healthy Eagles webpage: http://www.www.avila.edu/healthy-eagles which provides links to campus communications, FAQs, and COVID-19 resources.
These responsive actions may raise questions for many. Send your questions and concerns to mailto:HealthyEagles@avila.edu
While we do not have all of the answers at this moment, please know that the Avila faculty, staff, and administration are working to find answers and solutions to maintain a safe, healthy community. If you need help, remember we have support available for students and staff, both in-person and remotely. Students can contact the Counseling Center. Faculty and staff members can find assistance through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
We’ll be as open and quick to communicate as possible when there is a change driven by new circumstances. Please know that you are not in this alone. In the spirit and inspiration of our founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, take care of your neighbor and yourself.
Stay well, and be safe.
Ronald A. Slepitza, Ph.D., CSJA