Criteria for Admission
Students will be evaluated for admission into the Social Work major according to the following criteria:
- Acceptance by Avila University.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (Students who have a lower GPA can apply but will only be accepted on a conditional basis and must achieve the 2.5 GPA prior to graduation).
- Attain a “C” or better grade in all Social Work, and Social Science-related courses.
- Are enrolled in or have completed the SW 303 Generalist Social Work course.
- Satisfactory evaluation by a supervisor of the Shadow Experience assigned in SW 303.
- Demonstration of an understanding and commitment to Social Work values and ethical standards documented with a signed commitment to uphold the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Demonstration of social functioning that allows for effective beginning generalist level professional Social Work practice.
- Demonstration of effective verbal and written communication skills in the Social Work History oral presentation and the Shadow Reflection paper assignments in SW 303.
- Demonstration of effective analytical skills in the Research Assignment in SW 350.
- Demonstration of professional attitudes and behaviors evaluated during the Shadow Experience in SW 303 including attendance, punctuality, accountability, effective time management, professional dress and conduct; and student colleague/instructor relationships observed in the Social Work classroom environment.
In addition to these requirements, students must complete a formal application for the Department of Social Work which includes the following:
- Personal statement detailing their development of interest in social work and identifying their professional strengths and areas for improvement.
- Signed Commitment to Uphold the NASW Code of Ethics
- Signed Admission, Retention, Dismissal Policies and Procedures Statement
- Student Self-Assessment of Professional Functioning
- Shadow Experience Evaluation form
- Field Experience Planning Worksheet
- Professional Resume
After formal application has been submitted and reviewed by full and part-time Social Work faculty, the student completes an interview with the faculty.
Please click on Application Material.