US Immigration Guidelines
You are required to be enrolled as a full-time student each semester due to the rules of your F-1 student visa. Avila’s polices regarding full-time enrollment are:
- Undergraduate students must take a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
- Graduate students must take a minimum of 6 credits per semester or trimester.
- You are only allowed to take classes off-campus with appropriate Registrar, academic advisor, and DSO approval.
- Exceptions to the full-time student requirement may be granted under very limited circumstances. However, they must be approved by a PDSO/DSO in the International Student Services office.
Maintaining your I-20 and Legal Status
You are responsible for making sure that your I-20 is correct and up to date! To make sure that your I-20 remains current, please remember the following:
- Have your I-20 signed by a PDSO/DSO once a year if you travel outside the U.S.
- Make sure the end of program date on your I-20 does not expire. Please check with the International Student Services office if your I-20 will expire soon.
- Maintain full-time enrollment at all times. Check with International Student Services if you have questions regarding the full-time enrollment requirement.
- All off-campus work (including OPT) must be authorized by Immigration and will be printed on your I-20.
- After you graduate from Avila, you will be allowed to work for one year in the U.S. through Optional Practical Training (OPT). You must apply in the International Student Services office and be approved by Immigration to do this work.
- If you complete a Bachelor’s degree at Avila and want to study for a Master’s degree, you will need a new I-20.
Contact us at email@example.com or 816-501-3772