While the University is working toward a return to more on-campus student experiences this Fall, our ultimate success depends on the actions all of us take now and throughout the summer. A vaccinated campus community — faculty, staff, and students — is vital to our plans. Do your part and get your vaccination.
It will take all of us to reach “herd immunity” against COVID-19. Herd immunity is the indirect protection from an infectious disease when a large enough percentage of the population has reached full immunity. The percentage of immune people needed varies with each disease. Herd immunity against measles requires 95% of the population to be vaccinated. For polio, the threshold is about 80%. For COVID-19 the percentage of immunity needed is not yet known. (WHO.it)
You should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. (CDC.gov)
More than 189 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine were administered from December, 2020, through April 12, 2021. Millions of people in the United States have received COVID-19 vaccines under the most intense safety monitoring in U.S. history. The vaccines met FDA’s rigorous scientific standards for safety, effectiveness, and manufacturing quality to support emergency use authorization. (CDC.gov)
The CDC and FDA have recommended that the use of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccine resume in the United States, effective April 23, 2021. (CDC.gov) The single-shot vaccine now comes with a warning label about the blood clot disorder, and that other COVID-19 vaccines are available where this risk has not been seen.
Some people have no side effects. Others have reported common side effects like swelling/redness/pain at the injection site, fever, headache, tiredness, muscle pain, chills, and nausea. (CDC.gov)
Millions of people have received COVID-19 vaccines, and no long-term side effects have been detected. (CDC.gov)
Typically it takes two weeks after you are fully vaccinated for your body to build immunity against the COVID-19 virus. (CDC.gov)
Early data show the vaccines may work against some variants but could be less effective against others. (CDC.gov)
Vaccinations are an important tool to stopping the pandemic. We must use all of the tools available to us like mask-wearing and physical distancing as well. (CDC.gov)
If fully vaccinated you will not need to quarantine after a COVID-19 exposure.
Once fully vaccinated:
- Visit inside a private setting without a mask with other fully vaccinated people, or with unvaccinated people who are not at risk for severe illness.
- Travel domestically without a pre- or post-travel test.
- Travel domestically without quarantining after travel.
- Travel internationally without a pre-travel test (depending on the destination).
- Travel internationally without quarantining after travel. (CDC.gov)
- Visit the European Union countries.
Vaccination Clinic Information Around the Kansas City Area
As we become aware of vaccination clinics around the Kansas City metro area, we will be posting it here. Please check back as the information updates frequently.
If you are scheduling your vaccination, please fill out the April 2021 survey. Your responses will be aggregated and individual responses will be kept confidential.
Kansas City Missouri Health Department COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics
Reserve your spot: KCMO Health Department has open appointments at their Saturday clinic in South Kansas City on Saturday, April 24. To reserve your spot and more information, visit KCMO.gov/coronavirus. Click here to view the information flier.
Smith-Hale Middle School (former Hickman Mills H.S.)
9010A Old Santa Fe Road
Kansas City, MO 64138
Saturday, April 24
9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
North Kansas City Hospital is partnering with others in the Northland to bring vaccines to the community. Operation Safe is scheduling appointments now for ALL Missouri residents — this includes Avila faculty, staff, and students. The clinic is located on the Cerner Headquarters campus in North Kansas City. Appointments are required.
Please complete the vaccination interest form.
Read more about the VaccinateKC initiative. This effort was created to engage the Greater KC Community during the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine to inform, prepare and encourage residents to get their vaccine. The goal is 2 million shots in arms across the KC region so let’s work together to defeat COVID-19!
Area Walmart Pharmacies
Walmart is facilitating vaccines in Kansas and Missouri. People need to sign up for an appointment ahead of time. More information on vaccines at Walmart can be found on the store’s vaccine website. Appointments can fill up quickly. Those interested in signing up should check Walmart’s website frequently.
The following Kansas City metro Walmart or Sam’s Club locations are offering vaccines:
- 1700 North 7 Highway, Blue Springs, MO 64014
- 600 Northeast Coronado Drive, Blue Springs, MO 64014
- 2000 North Walnut Street, Cameron, MO 64429
- 2203 Patsy Lane, Excelsior Springs, MO 64024
- 7207 North Missouri 1 Highway, Gladstone, MO 64119
- 1700 North State Route 291, Harrisonville, MO 64701
- 4000 South Bolger Road, Independence, MO 64055
- 3411 South Noland Road, Independence, MO 64055
- 8551 North Boardwalk Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64154
- 5261 North Antioch Road, Kansas City, MO 64119
- 8301 North Church Road, Kansas City, MO 64158
- 11601 East U.S. Highway 40, Kansas City, MO 64133
- 1701 West 133rd Street, Kansas City, MO 64145
- 3410 Southwest Market Street, Lee’s Summit, MO 64082
- 1000 Northeast Sam Walton Lane, Lee’s Summit, MO 64086
- 2015 West Foxwood Drive, Raymore, MO 64083
- 10300 East Highway 350, Raytown, MO 64138
- 908 Walton Way, Richmond, MO 64085
- 4201 North Belt Highway, St. Joseph, MO 64506
- 3022 South Belt Highway, St. Joseph, MO 64503
- 301 East Cooper Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093
Missouri Sam’s Club
- 5201 North Belt Highway St. A, St. Joseph, MO 64506
- 5110 North Oak Trafficway, Kansas City, MO 64118
- 8130 North Church Road, Kansas City, MO 64158
- 12801 Kansas Avenue, Bonner Springs, KS 66012
- 2300 Metropolitan Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66106
- 550 Congressional Drive, Lawrence, KS 66049
- 5000 10th Avenue, Leavenworth, KS 66048
- 13600 South Alden Street, Olathe, KS 66062
Hy-Vee is facilitating vaccines at locations in Kansas and Missouri. Those interested in receiving a vaccine can sign up for an appointment on Hy-Vee’s COVID-19 vaccine website. A Hy-Vee employee will contact those who are eligible when it’s their turn to receive a vaccine. On the Hy-Vee website, people can search locations in the Kansas City area by zip code. The information will be updated periodically as new appointments become available.
CVS Pharmacy is administering vaccines in the Kansas City area on the Missouri side. On Sunday, March 21, they will begin including appointments in Kansas City, Kansas, and Leavenworth. Similar to other places, appointments are required. Sign up for the Sunday appointments began on March 19.
- To sign up for an appointment, fill out an interest survey on the CVS vaccine website.
- Appointment availability also is available on the website.
- People without online access can contact CVS Customer Service: 1 (800) 746-7287. Walk-in vaccinations will not be provided.
Balls Food Pharmacies
Balls Food Pharmacies announced on March 17 that it will offer COVID-19 vaccination appointments at 10 a.m. every Friday. More than a dozen Price Chopper, Hen House and Sun Fresh locations in Kansas are participating in the vaccination effort, with a location in Jackson County opening up on April 5. Appointments will be posted online for eligible residents to sign up.
- Price Chopper, 4820 North Oak Trafficway, Kansas City, Missouri 64118
- Johnson County
Hen House Pharmacy 28, 6950 Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS 66208
Hen House Pharmacy 32, 13600 South Blackbob Road, Olathe, KS 66062
Hen House Pharmacy 33, 6900 West 135th Street, Overland Park, KS 66223
Hen House Pharmacy 35, 2724 West 53rd Street, Fairway, KS 66205
Price Chopper Pharmacy 12, 4950 Roe Blvd., Roeland Park, KS 66205
Price Chopper Pharmacy 25, 7000 West 75th Street, Overland Park, KS 66204
Price Chopper Pharmacy 26, 2101 East Santa Fe Road, Olathe, KS 66062
Price Chopper Pharmacy 40, 15970 South Mur-Len Road, Olathe, KS 66062
Price Chopper Pharmacy 39, 12010 West 63rd Street, Shawnee, KS 66216
- Price Chopper Pharmacy 20, 2107 South Fourth Street, Leavenworth, KS 66048
- Hen House Pharmacy 27, 8120 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, KS 66112
- Price Chopper Pharmacy 6, 7600 State Ave., Kansas City, KS 66112
- Sun Fresh Pharmacy 41, 2803 South 47th Street, Kansas City, KS 66106
Appointments will be posted online for eligible residents to sign up.
Kansas and Missouri Pharmacies
Several pharmacies are administrating vaccines in the Kansas City metro area.
- Cedar Creek Pharmacy, 34040 Commerce Drive, De Soto, KS 66018
- Hen House Pharmacy, 2724 West 53rd Street, Fairway, KS 66205
- Auburn Pharmacy, 13351 Mission Road, Leawood, KS 66209
- Price Chopper, 3700 West 95th Street, Leawood, KS 662006
- Sam’s Pharmacy, 12200 West 95th Street, Lenexa, KS 66215
- Auburn Pharmacy, 20375 West 151st Street, Suite 100 A, Olathe, KS 66061
- Hen House Pharmacy, 13600 South Blackbob Road, Olathe, KS 66062
- Hy-Vee Pharmacy, 14955 West 151st Street, Olathe, KS 66061
- Price Chopper Pharmacy, 2101 East Santa Fe, Olathe, KS 66062
- Price Chopper Pharmacy, 15970 South Mur-Len Road, Olathe, KS 66062
- Walmart Pharmacy, 13600 South Alden Street, Olathe, KS 66062
- Cosentino’s Market, 258051 West 160th Street, Overland Park, KS 66221
- Hen House Pharmacy, 6900 West 135th Street, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Hy-Vee Pharmacy, 8501 West 95th Street, Overland Park, KS 66212
- Price Chopper Pharmacy, 7000 West 75th Street, Overland Park, KS 66204
- Stark Professional Pharmacy 5701 West 119th Street, Suite 1, Overland Park, KS 66209
- Hen House Pharmacy, 6950 Mission Lane Prairie Village, KS 66208
- Price Chopper Pharmacy, 4950 Roe Blvd., Roeland Park, KS 66205
Several pharmacies in Kansas are administering vaccines. The following pharmacies in the Kansas City metro are offering COVID-19 vaccines:
Through the Missouri State Pharmacy Program, some pharmacies in the Kansas City metro now are receiving allocated vaccines to administer:
- Summers Pharmacy No. 3, 913 West Fort Scott Street, Butler, MO 64730
- Summers Pharmacy, 605 Pawnee Avenue, Clinton, MO 64735
- Price Chopper Pharmacy No. 16, 12220 South U.S. 71 Highway, Grandview, MO 64030
- Price Chopper Pharmacy No. 37, 520 South Commercial Street, Harrisonville, MO 64701
- Auburn Pharmacy No. 210, 16611 East 23rd Street, Independence, MO 64055
- Price Chopper No. 11, 4820 North Oak Trafficway, Kansas City, MO 64118
- Price Chopper Pharmacy No. 18, 8430 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO 64114
- Spalitto’s Pharmacy, 3801 Independence Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64124
- UMKC School of Pharmacy, 2464 Charlotte Street, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Sumers Pharmacy, 101 West State Route 92, Suite A, Kearney, MO 64060
- Price Chopper Pharmacy No. 43, 1600 Southeast Blue Parkway, Lee’s Summit, MO 64063
- Auburn Pharmacy No. 230, 9107 Northwest 45 Highway, Parkville, MO 64152
- C and C Discount Pharmacy, 508 Johnny Walker Lane, Suite B, Richmond, MO 64085
- Phillips Family Pharmacy, 2401 Northwest Platte Road, Riverside, MO 64150
- Plaza West Pharmacy, 3330 West 10th Street, Sedalia, MO 65301
- Auburn Pharmacy No. 215, 1103 South 169 Highway, Smithville, MO 64089
- Summers Pharmacy of Warrensburg, 611 Burkarth Road, Warrensburg, MO 64093
Johnson County, Kansas Department of Health and Environment
The Johnson County Department of Health and Environment currently is vaccinating people who qualify in Phase 3 and Phase 4 of the state’s vaccine rollout. However, next week the state will begin to vaccinate people in Phase 5. Anyone interested in being vaccinated should fill out the county’s vaccine interest form. JCDHE will then reach out to people when it’s their turn to make an appointment.
Johnson County, Kansas Hospitals
Several hospitals in Johnson County are administering vaccines to people in Phase 1 and Phase 2 of Kansas’ vaccine rollout. The following links access each hospital’s COVID-19 vaccine interest form. Once completed, the hospitals will contact people when it’s their turn for a vaccine.