Did you know...
- In 2015 the full-time nursing faculty members, have an individual average of 13 years teaching experience and 20 years nursing experience? That’s 117 years of collective teaching experience and 180 years of collective nursing experience!
- Current nursing students also benefit from the individual average of 14 years nursing experience of clinical adjunct faculty!
- Of the 116 students enrolled in nursing courses in 2014-2015, 15% are male and 16% are minority.
- Over the last five years (2010-2015), 92% of students enrolled in the nursing major have graduated within three years of admission to the program. Of those students 96% of graduates have become Registered Nurses! And, nearly all graduates are employed within 6 months of graduation.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Pre-Licensure Program
When do you admit students?
We admit pre-licensure students to the nursing program yearly. Students begin their first nursing course in the fall.
How many students do you admit annually?
We are currently authorized by the Missouri State Board of Nursing to admit up to 54 pre-licensure students per year.
What previous college-level work will meet requirements?
Science and ethics courses over 10 years old will not be accepted. Equivalent courses are determined through a transcript evaluation. This is initiated through application to Avila and review of official transcripts. Students who believe they have knowledge competencies that are not reflected on the transcript evaluation can choose to test for competency in some courses or may petition for further consideration of course equivalency based, for example, on substantiation of course content through course syllabi.
Where do students at Avila receive clinical experiences?
Nursing students participate in clinical courses throughout the nursing program. We offer health care learning experiences in a variety of settings.
What documentation is required to participate in clinical experiences?
Accepted students must:
- Provide immunization documentation and other Avila and clinical agency requirements prior to the beginning of and continuing throughout nursing clinical courses (these requirements are subject to change).
- Complete criminal disclosure information and background check.
- Hold current two-year certification through American Heart Association for Basic Life Support Health Care Professional.
- Provide proof of absence of active Tuberculosis (2-step TB screen or IGRA)
- Carry health insurance coverage while in the nursing major (a health insurance form must reflect company and coverage, be provided annually and be on file in the nursing office).
What resources do you have to assist with my learning?
Avila provides Learning Services for students needing academic support. Career Services offers assistance in resume writing and interviewing skills. The Hooley-Bundschu Library & Learning Commons houses hundreds of videos, computer software and interactive videos to assist the nursing student in the learning process. The Nursing Education and Resource Center houses low, medium and high-fidelity simulators to provide practice opportunities in nursing interventions and clinical reasoning.
Do I need a car?
Students must be responsible for their own transportation to clinical sites. Students typically drive themselves or carpool with other students.