Study Spanish Language & Culture at Avila
(did you know you can even Minor in it?)
Study in Avila, Spain, a World Heritage City and one of the most historic and beautiful municipalities in the country! Its world famous walls stand guard over the centuries-old artistic and cultural heritage found inside. Walking along its narrow winding streets, one easily encounters vestiges from the past…Vetan (Celtic) and Roman architectural remains, Romanesque and Gothic churches, monasteries, convents and Renaissance palaces. Not only is it a journey through the history and culture of Spain, but also that of Europe.
Several great figures were born in the city and its province: Saint Teresa of Jesus and Saint John of the Cross, whose writing n mysticism are considered both spiritual and literary classics, Queen Isabella of Castile, a leading Catholic monarch in the history of the peninsula and Tomás Luis de Victoria, an outstanding polyphonic composer. Many vivid reminders of these four are located throughout the area where one can trace their influential lives.
UCA’s Institute of Spanish Language and Culture offers small classes; the language classes in particular use a communicative approach. Courses taught:
- Spanish Language
- Beginning to Advanced Spanish
- Culture & Civilization
- Business Spanish
- Medical Spanish
- Spanish Mysticism
- Spanish Literature
Not only will your course credits transfer back to Avila University here in Kansas City, you will live and experience the rich culture of this medieval city. For more information or to apply, contact Dr. Teresa Lorenz and the Center for Global Studies & Social Justice.
Heredia, Costa Rica (at Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica)
Academic Program Spanish immersion
Our program in Costa Rica offers two summer sessions, each consisting of five weeks of Spanish immersion. Students will receive a total of 80 hours of classroom instruction with experienced professors from the University of Arizona and the Universidad Nacional. Local families host our students providing them with a taste of the real "Tico" life. By the end of the program, participants will fully understand the meaning of "Pura Vida", the Costa Rican national phrase. The program is enhanced with excursions to places such as the cloud forest in Monteverde, Arenal Volcano, Nosara Beach, the canals of Tortuguero, and more. During class trips students are required to keep journals and conduct interviews to share with the class. As part of the program, students participate in class projects and community outreach programs, which gives them the opportunity to further develop their conversational skills.
Tentative Dates: U of A Summer Session I (June 8-July 13)
U of A Summer Session II (July 6-August 10)
Program Cost: $4,000 excluding airfare (finding / buying airfare is responsibility of the student)
Included in program cost:
- 6 units of intensive Spanish for Avila (8 units for U of A) – 2 courses; 1st -5th semester offered but can arrange for higher level if needed.
- Courses Monday-Friday 8am-12pm -- Courses Available
Students may enroll in up to 8 credits per session. Courses include:
Span 101 : First Semester Spanish (SP 111)
Span 102: Second Semester Spanish (SP 112)
Span 201: Third Semester Spanish (SP 211)
Span 202: Fourth Semester Spanish (SP 222)
Span 251: Intermediate Spanish (Special Topics 280)
Other courses can be arranged as needed by students. Class placement will be based on courses previously taken and pre-departure interviews conducted by program directors. Students may also register for UA journalism courses, including environmental journalism, ethics, feature writing, and international media systems (contingent on enrollment).
- 1 week-long trip and one weekend trip
- Homestay with local families (1 student per family)
- 3 daily meals
- International Travel Insurance
Your course credits transfer back to Avila University here in Kansas City, and you will live and experience the culture of Costa Rica. For more information or to apply, contact Dr. Teresa Lorenz and the Center for Global Studies & Social Justice.
- To study Spanish in Malaga is a great choice. Malaga is a warm Mediterranean town near the shores of Africa, treasuring monuments of important historic epochs such as those of the Phenicians, Greeks, Romans, and Arabs. Our marvellous climate allows you to enjoy outdoors: on all its beaches, in the mountains, the ‘ambiente' in the streets, the ‘fiestas', ‘flamenco', cultural activities, leisure time, all sorts of outdoor sports and entertainments. If you want to learn Spanish, do not hesitate, choose Malaga and enrol in a Spanish course in our language school in Malaga, the perfect mode of combining culture and holidays in the capital of Southern Spain. Malaga boasts of hospitality inviting you to return again and again. Welcome to our Spanish courses in Spain. Welcome to our Spanish school Picasso in Malaga.
- At Instituto Picasso You are passing the threshold where thousands of Spanish learners from all over the world have passed since 1982 in order to learn Spanish in Malaga, the second town of Spain in the importance of Spanish studies for foreigners. You will find that we have the Spanish course in Malaga, Spain for you, with teachers who are pleased to help you to get in touch with Spanish life, and customs of Malaga and Andalucia, tutors who can draw on many years of experience in teaching the Spanish language and culture to foreigners. Our school office is run by professional secretaries, prepared to clear any doubt or answer questions as to our Spanish courses in Spain, accommodation, arrival at Malaga and our Spanish school, etc. in different languages: Spanish, English, German and French.
Take a look at the activities, including beach volleyball, Futbol, dance classes, site visits, nightlife, and more!
More information at email@example.com or call 816-501-3627
Mexico: Instituto Cultural Oaxaca
ICO opened in 1984 and is a founding member of the Spanish Language Schools Association of Oaxaca. The school is set in the grounds of a beautiful estate and offers a range of cultural activities and workshops: dance and cooking lessons, workshops on Mexican art and music, archeological excursions, textiles, Mexican cinema and more.
Teachers are experienced and University-trained, and they focus on the Communicative Method.
Accreditation: Instituto Cervantes
Academic credit: Yes
Exam preparation: DELE
Accommodation: Homestay, posada, apartment or hotel.
Cost of classes: The main program (up to 7 daily contact hours) costs US$520 for four weeks. After the fifth week, the price drops to US$100 per week. 20 and 15 hour programs are also available – check their website for the full list of prices.
"Immerse yourself in another language and another culture.
With CIEE language learning study abroad programs, jump in and take advantage of a truly holistic educational experience. Study with local students, live with local families, explore your new home through cultural excursions, and volunteer with local organizations. Let the community become your classroom as you develop your fluency in a second language while deepening your understanding of another culture and its people.
From Europe, to Africa, South America to Asia – and Beginner and to Advanced – there’s a CIEE language learning program to fit your particular interests and abilities.
So go ahead, jump in."