Admission Criteria for Nursing Program
The Avila University School of
Nursing is committed to nondiscrimination
and equal opportunity
in its admission process.
Applicants seeking admission to the Avila University nursing program must:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- Obtain a “C” or above in all prerequisite courses prior to beginning nursing courses.
- Submit a nursing application by the published application deadline the year you plan to start nursing major coursework. Applications received after the deadline will be considered using the admission criteria on a space-available basis.
Additional considerations given to the following:
- Overall GPA.
- Number of credit hours taken at Avila.
- Interview and/or essay response.
- Academic history with patterns and trends indicating potential for academic success (e.g., science repeats).
- Eligibility for licensure. Completion of the BSN program does not guarantee licensure. . Please visit Missouri Division of Professional Registration (MSBN) for more information. Refer to the Nurse Practice Act in the state in which you anticipate licensure. In Missouri, refer to sections 335.066 and 335.046
High school seniors admitted to Avila may secure a place in the nursing program by meeting, at a minimum, the following criteria:
- 24 ACT Composite score
- 24 ACT Science sub-score
- 3.0 cumulative high school GPA (on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA when beginning the nursing program.
- All other criteria for admission.
Students who complete their first and second year coursework at Avila with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above at the time of application to the nursing major will have admission granted provided that all other criteria for admission are met and all other additional considerations are satisfactory.
Cumulative GPAs of applicants who have already earned an undergraduate degree will be calculated on completed coursework that is required for the nursing major.
Previous Nursing Enrollment
A student seeking admission who has prior enrollment in another nursing program will only be considered for admission if the student has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 in nursing courses and has been enrolled in a nursing program within one year of anticipated enrollment in nursing at Avila University. Students will not be considered for admission if they have received two or more grades of D, F or W/F (withdraw/failing) in any previous nursing program. Contact the Nursing Admission Counselor for additional information.
Students who believe there are circumstances that may require reasonable accommodations or services as determined by the American Disabilities Act, should contact the Avila University Disability Services upon acceptance of the program's admission invitation.
For additional information about the nursing program you may contact Laura Harrity, Nursing Admission Counselor at 816-501-3692 or email her at Laura.Harrity@avila.edu.