Criterion: All graduate teacher education students who are employed full-time as a paraprofessional.
Each institution of higher education offering professional education program(s) for teacher certification shall require preservice teacher education students to complete clinical and other field experiences under the supervision of a qualified cooperating teacher and a qualified clinical faculty member from the institution’s professional education program in accordance with rules promulgated by the board, with the following exception:
Programs having preservice teacher education students who have been employed in public or accredited nonpublic schools for at least two (2) years as teacher assistants shall accept such experiences in lieu of the conventional student teaching requirement if the following conditions listed below are met.
- The preservice student’s experience as a teacher assistant was concurrent with the student’s participation in the professional education program and in the same content area and grade range for which the student is seeking certification.
- The teacher assistant shall have conducted teaching activities comparable to those required for other preservice education students in conventional student teaching placements and demonstrating similar competencies.
- The teacher with whom the teacher assistant served meets the qualifications for a cooperating teacher, as defined by:
- A teacher with at least three (3) years experience in a public or accredited nonpublic school setting, having professional classification certification in the content area and grade range being taught.
- The teacher with whom the teacher assistant serves must provide verification of these qualifications in writing during the first semester of the teacher assistant’s coursework at Avila.
Office—Person(s) Responsible for Implementation/Enforcement: Director of Graduate Education