Avila Home Page
Helpful Links
Financial Aid

> Life Skills Student Guide
Visit LifeSkills.org

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid Programs: Federal student aid is a resource to assist you in paying for your education. In order to apply for federal aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. You may complete the application online at www.fafsa.ed.gov (Avila University Code: 002449) . Avila University encourages you to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st. However, the priority deadline to submit your FAFSA is April 1st. The FAFSA may be submitted after this date. Based on the information provided by you and your family on the FAFSA, an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is determined. This is the amount that you are expected to pay for educational expenses. Your financial need is the difference between the cost of attendance at an institution and the EFC. The types and amounts of available federal aid may differ from institution to institution. Institutional and state financial aid programs may utilize the federal aid methodology when awarding need-based aid.

  • Federal

  • Supplemental

  • Federal Work
    Study Program

  • Perkins

  • Stafford

  • (PLUS) Parent
    Loan for for

Federal Pell Grant

This is a need-based grant that varies from $731 to $5,550 based upon your Expected Family Contribution. This amount is determined by filing the FAFSA.


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This is also a need-based grant and may be awarded to students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Schools have very limited funding for this grant so students are encouraged to apply early.



Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in high need fields in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

In order to be eligible for a TEACH Grant at Avila University, a student must meet the following criteria:

  • Be admitted to, and enrolled in, the School of Education in an undergraduate program of study leading to a teaching certificate, or, in the case of the M.A. in Education – TESL program, be admitted to, and enrolled in, the University (see Catalogue for details),
  • If an undergraduate, achieve a passing score on each subset of the College Basic Academic Subjects Examination (C-BASE),
  • Achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.25,
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen,
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), though not being required to demonstrate financial need, and,
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve. Agreement to Serve

Entrance/Exiting Counseling is required.  You will need to complete this at http://mappingyourfuture.org/OSLC/.

Avila University academic programs which currently meet the “high–need field” qualifications for a student to receive a TEACH Grant are:

Undergraduate : B.S. in Special Education, B.S. in Biology with minor in Secondary Education, B.A. in Mathematics Education, B.S. in Middle School Education with concentration in Mathematics or Science

Graduate : M.A. in Education – TESL, which includes Advanced Certification in ESOL.

Students must agree to the following conditions in order to receive the
TEACH Grant:

Agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students (as defined by individual states),

Agree to teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which the grant was received, and,

Agree to repay the total amount of the TEACH Grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest from the date of grant disbursal, if the above service obligation is not met.

Additional information and the application for the grant is located at http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/TEACH.jsp

Federal Work-Study Programs (FWS)

This program provides part-time, on campus employment for students with established need. Check with the financial aid department for job availability. The student will undergo an interview for the positions. Each student is allowed a certain amount of hours per semester; please see your financial aid advisor for details. Jobs are on a first-come, first-serve basis and do run out very quickly.

Please note: Your job on campus is a real job. It affects the day-to-day operations of our departments and the quality of our service. It is important to decide if you are willing to accept the responsibilities of employment before signing up for the work program.

Federal Perkins Loan

This is a need-based, low interest loan that is repayable to Avila University nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time. Funds for this loan are very limited.

Federal Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

The Stafford loan program enables students to borrow annual amounts for dependent students of $5,500 for freshmen, $6,500 for sophomores, and $7,500 each for juniors and seniors.  Independent students will receive the same loan limits plus an additional $4,000 for freshmen and sophomores, and $5,000 for juniors and seniors. You must sign your award letter and complete a master promissory note to accept your loan. If this is the first time you have applied for a Stafford loan with Avila University, you will need to complete an entrance counseling before the loan can be processed and an exit counseling when you graduate. Subsidized loans are need-based as determined by your FAFSA. The government will pay the interest for you while you are enrolled in school at least half time. Unsubsidized loans are not based on financial need and are available to all students regardless of income. Interest will accrue while the student is in school therefore the student is responsible for all interest charges. You may choose to make interest payments while in school or you may defer the interest until repayment.

Annual Aggregate Limits on Stafford Loans:  Stafford Loans

To Apply for Stafford Loans:  www.studentloans.gov

How much do I already owe?  NSLDS for Students


Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

The Parent PLUS loan is taken out by either a parent or stepparent who needs additional funds to assist his or her child with the cost of education or living expenses.

Visit www.studentloans.gov for more information.